Monday 2 November 2015

Hillarious: Singer Tom Jones Had a DNA test to see if His ancestors were black

Private genetic tests of the sort that Sir Tom might choose have become big business in recent years  Private genetic tests of the sort that Sir Tom might choose have become big business in recent years

Singer Tom Jones is often mistaken as black because of his hair's texture. 75-year-old made the comments in an interview and said he'd get a test, born to a traditional coal-mining family with English and Welsh ancestry, revealed his mother had dark patches on her body when she was born.

Throughout his career his hair – thick, curly and (once) black – and his baritone voice have led some to believe he is black. Now Sir Tom Jones has revealed that he wants to have his DNA tested to discover if he does really have black ancestry.


The singer, who has transformed himself from penniless miner’s son from the Valleys into a £190million music star through records including Delilah and It’s Not Unusual, stopped dyeing his hair several years ago but is still mistaken for being black because of its texture.

In an interview at the weekend Sir Tom, now 75, said he is often told he is ‘just passing as white’ and as a result he has decided to ‘get my DNA tested. I want to find out’.



He added: ‘A lot of people still think I’m black. When I first came to America, people who had heard me sing on the radio would be surprised that I was white when they saw me. Because of my hair a lot of black people still tell me I’m just passing as white.’

Sir Tom was born Thomas Jones Woodward in Pontypridd, South Wales, to a traditional coal-mining family – his mother Freda was of Welsh and English ancestry and his father was of English descent.




Recalling an incident shortly after he was born Sir Tom, who is known to tan easily, told The Times magazine: ‘My mother came out in big dark patches all over her body. They asked if she had any black blood and she said she didn’t know.’

Private genetic tests of the sort that Sir Tom might choose have become big business in recent years. Many companies claim they can identify whether people are related to famous historical figures such as Napoleon or Cleopatra, or have DNA from specific racial groups. 


I just hope the DNA come through for him... lol. So much for wanting to be black 

No comments: